“All Stars off to great start - amazing to have 20 plus new kids there”
The long-awaited rain duly arrived but at the wrong time. It did its best to curtail activities but we still managed some cricketing action.
Here are the weekend's Highs and Lows -
• Last ball win for 2s at home to Teddington 2s. Chasing 185 in 39 overs, the 2s recovered from a shaky start with a fine 99 run partnership between Skipper Mills and Joseph James. Further wickets fell. We went into the last over needing 11 to win. Ex Colt Nick Brand and current Colt Hugh Teesdale saw us home with a single off the last ball. This extract from the full Match Report describes the last over tension –
“With eleven required, Brand hit one. Teesdale returned the favour. Brand then cleverly pitched one on the edge of the gammy astro, hitting the unfortunate fielder on the chin as it popped up – a super header. Alas, it provided a second run. Seven off three. The squeakiest of bum times. Another two followed – a lovely piece of mistiming dissecting the two fielders. Five off two. The tension. Brand, flat-batting wide of cover, the gentleman on the extra-cover boundary sprinting for grim life. Would he make it? Yes. But he’d parry it for four in front of jubilant Middies. One off one. Driven straight at short-cover. Half-stopped. Brand (37*) galloping like a magnificent wildebeest, sweeping across the savannah. Did he make it? Yes, he did. A win off the final ball. A chase so excellent ITV got Bradley Walsh to host it. Jubilant scenes. Extraordinary scenes. Scenes.”
• Hosting our first ECB All Stars Session in the sunshine on Sunday morning – see pic. 23 children between 4 and 8, all new to NMCC, took part and a frantic time was had by all. The Session was led by Dave Robson, Richard Nicoll, Doug Teesdale and James Parslow. Our All Stars’ programme continues over the next 7 Sundays – 11 to 12 noon. Offers of help from other Club coaches welcomed.
• Win for U11Bs – playing alongside All Stars our team managed by Satyen Dhana beat Stoke Newington in a League match .
• Junior training went ahead - despite the downpours we managed to complete training for Under 11 and younger Boys on Saturday morning. The Girls kindly offered to switch their sessions to Sunday and were rewarded with brilliant sunshine.
Updated 20:52 - 21 May 2017 by Richard Nicoll
• Defeat for 1s – lost by 7 wickets after being bowled out for 77 by 2016 Champs, Teddington, on a soft deck in Bushey Park. 100% league record gone. Lads – please bounce back next week at home v Shepherds Bush.
• Much narrower defeat for the 4s at home to Brondesbury 3s. Midd posted target of 184 off 45 (R Verity 95). No more details supplied.
• 3s and 5s matches cancelled because of waterlogged grounds
• Pinky’s Party Night – this event to be staged by Middlesex CC at the Midd on Friday night was cancelled because of the weather. It will be rearranged for later in the Summer.